Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Google Blog Search

I'm finding it really intriguing to see how swiftly bloggers respond to the news. One of my tasks on this module is to use the Google Blog search. I decided to look at the story regarding the death of the eight year old girl from starvation after having all her milk teeth removed. Even though I have spent eight years as a broadcast media researcher at the BBC I found the wealth of material which was suddenly at my finger tips absolutely incredible!

I started off by looking at the more reputable news blogs such as the Independent and Euro News and then meandered off down lots of cul-de-sacs from dreams about milk teeth to anecdotes about losing teeth. I think this is a salutary lesson about checking the authority of facts before citing things from the Internet - something students and news organisations should always remember!

This has certainly given me something to think about when I am marking student's work - those essays where certain sections seem as though they have come from the Internet but are difficult to trace. Google Blog is something I will bear in mind ....!

No comments:

Post a Comment